Sunday, December 6, 2009

Blogging Again - December

I have been too busy cooking, baking and working to BLOG!! Ok .. I really need to get this figured out, as plan was to cook or bake and then BLOG about the experience.


That will be my New Year's resolution - I promise.
I also was ill with flu most of October and into November. Mostly it has passed, but still some dregs seem to linger.


Back to baking and what and how I have been doing.
The Chocolate Pie - I made 4 times with great success. I will update tomorrow, regarding the differences of each session, and how using different chocolate variations changed the outcome or not.
Other Culinary Quests that I attempted were


  1. Lemon  Meringue Tart from Dede Wilson's unforgettable desserts
  2. Lemon Pudding
  3. Chocolate Snowball Cake - renamed Exploding Chocolate Snowball Cake
  4. Carrot Cake .. hmm made that twice
  5. Best Banana Muffins in the Galaxy
  6. Chocolate Cake with Mocha Buttercream Icing
  7. Darleen's Very Cheesy Lasagna
  8. Garlic Toast with Cheese
  9. Stuffed Peppers
  10. Potato Soup
And was the mixture of spaghetti with home made spaghetti sauce, chicken slow cooked with onion and grilled mushroom soup sandwiches.


As with all experiences I am not sure you would want to see the video, as it seems that working in a kitchen under renovation has added complications. Some cause blood to be spurted!!


Other calamities have been due to equipment trials and tribulations - such as the food processor I purchased from kijiji for $8.00. It lasted exactly 30 seconds and shredded one carrot! Then it froze and motor was unable to be resuscitated. That was after the Braun chopper also had a seized motor when being forced to chop chocolate. So I am back to chopping, pureing and shredding mostly by hand.


I am trialing - testing - a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer, lent to me by my daughter. She is a professional cook, so before I determine which is the best mixer I would like to test if possible. So far I am mostly impressed, but there  are some oddities that are possibly my own peculiarities or maybe it is not the correct mixer for me! It feels backwards is the biggest complaint, and also the bowl is awkward and too small? I still prefer my 35 year old Braun Mixer (with blender, shredder and meat grinder attachments) - except for fact that switch is touchy, and only has plastic bowls. Advantage to it however is that it is not backwards - bowl is on left hand side, not right hand side. Possibly after 35 years of using it on left side is reason I find the Kitchenaid backwards. I am considering looking more closely at the Professional version with bowl lifter.


Anyway ... I will get right to my recipe reviews and modifications I made, and outcome as well as my tribulations throughout. Next will be of course Christmas baking!!


....darleen

No comments:

Post a Comment